Friday, August 9, 2013

Heart to Heart Conversation with Kate...

The countdown to kindergarten is on...6 days to go and Kate could not be more excited! She is really ready for this next big step!  We have done the back to school shopping, have a dentist and hair appointment for Tuesday morning, have registered for all the necessary kindergarten things, ordered all her school supplies...think we are getting there.  On Tuesday Kate learns who her teacher is and get to meet her at Meet the Teacher night and get all her school supplies.  She is really excited to tour the school, her classroom and the cafeteria!  She is also excited for the Shave Ice truck they say will be there that night!

Tonight after we picked out her first and second day of school outfits she talked about how excited she is for school.  "I am just so excited, I can't stand it!" she said (then did the "EXCITED" thing)

After we talked I went to wash my face and then she said, "mommy, I am nervous for kindergarten".  I immediately sat down with her and asked what she was nervous about.  "I am excited nervous." she said and then started to act all excited again.  Then she told me that she sometimes gets shy around people she did not know and that she was nervous that she would get shy around her teacher and her classmates.  We talked about lots of ways to handle nervousness and practiced things to say to friends and her teacher.  After our talk she said "thanks mom....our talk made me not nervous anymore.  I know what to do at school now and how to not be shy.  I am going to love kindergarten....now I wish I was going into the fifth grade, that would mean I am really big."

Our talk made me realize how really big she is getting.  She is certainly getting BIG enough for me!
Love,
Anne
xoxo

No comments: