Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Minnesota Day 3: Injury

Saturday morning started off great with playing and breakfast with everyone!  We then went swimming in the indoor pool and that is where it went south.  As I was jumping into the pool, the metal cover of the drain slid off and my leg fell in to below my knee.  I was hurt as my leg was in the drain and my body in the pool.  Luckily, daddy was close by and ran over to help me.  Everyone was nervous I blew my knee or broke something.

The people from the resort cleaned up by cuts and got me a wheelchair to take me to the car and then have mom and dad take me to the hospital.

I had lots of x-rays and luckily nothing was broken!  Turns out I have a deep bruise, which they gave be ibuprophen for.  I was super excited that they gave my crutches to help with walking!  I was pretty slow with the crutches at first! 

I did learn that I have Osgood-Schlatter disease.  It is the inflammation of the bone, cartilage and/or tendon at the top of the shinbone, where the tendon from the kneecap attaches.  They only x-ray'd my left knee and found it there, but I may have in both knees.  Papa had it was he was a kid.  Luckily, it is a disease that kids typically outgrow.  It is seen in active kids and will likely cause sore and painful knees.  I hope I never experience a symptom, but it is good to understand that I have it!












 
Love,
Kate
xoxo


No comments: